The University´s Centre of South Iceland's purpose is to increase the quality of life and strengthen the economy in South Iceland.
About the University Centre of South Iceland.
The University Centre of South Iceland is a private company owned by 14 municipalities in South Iceland as well as the Association of Southern Municipalities/SASS, and covers the geographical area from Selvogur in the west to Lón in the east.
Vision of the future
We define four main goals:
We describe each main goal in more detail with sub-goals/work goals:
- Collaborate with universities on flexible study and teaching arrangements.
- Develop study paths with the needs of the population and the economy in mind, for the South region.
- Operate approved facilities for taking exam’s, across the South region.
- Operate, or collaborate with partner´s on offering, study centers for students, across the South region.
- Actively cooperate with the Association of Southern Municipalities (SASS) on projects related to the South Iceland Action Plan, the regional development plan for South Iceland (Sóknaráætlun Suðurlands).
- Take the initiative for new developmental projects, both domestic and foreign.
- Follow up on successful projects, e.g., Katla UNESCO Global Geopark.
- Promote a strong innovation environment in the South region.
- Actively collaborate with SASS on innovation.
- Work with businesses, and associations of businesses, in the South region.
- Collaborate with research and scientific institutions, both national and international.
- Work with knowledge centers in the South region on research and academic work.
- Participate in the work of the Science and Research Fund of South Iceland.